HOW WE CAN HELP...
The podiatrists at The Hunter Foot Clinic diagnose and treat young people's foot problems by careful examination of the foot, and lower limb, where required.
A check-up with a podiatrist from The Hunter Foot Clinic is recommended if:
- You notice uneven shoe wear in your child's shoes.
- You notice any skin rashes, hard skin, lumps or bumps on your child’s feet.
- Your child complains of recurrent pain in the feet and/or legs which also increases with activity.
- Your child is constantly tripping or falling.
- Your child walks on their tip toes.
- Your child’s walk does not look symmetrical (or the same on both feet and legs).
- Or you have any other concerns about your child’s feet.
What will my child's foot assessment involve?
We assess children of all ages. Throughout different stages of growth, the increase in body weight, activity and involvement in sports can be contributing factors to pain or injuries with children's feet and lower limbs
As part of the assessment our podiatrists will talk to you and your child about the foot or lower limb pain they are experiencing, or about the concerns you might have. Our podiatrists will conduct a thorough lower limb review and a video gait (walking and running) analysis (if required). This assessment will help our podiatrists to identify any problems with your child's feet and diagnose any mechanical issues.
Our podiatrists can provide personalised orthoses and if required, will carefully consider which type of orthoses (arch supports, pre-fabricated, customised orthoses and fully-customised prescription orthoses) will be best for your child, based on the results of the foot assessment.
Management options may also include specific footwear recommendations, exercises to strengthen your child's feet and lower limbs, padding, heel supports, as well as taping and splinting.
At times, additional testing may need to be done (such as x-rays and/or ultrasounds). Our podiatrists will discuss these options with you during the consultation and can provide referrals for imaging as appropriate. We work in collaboration with your child's GP and other allied health professionals to get the best possible outcome.